Sheriffs Citizen Academy
The next Sheriff's Citizen Academy - Date to be determined.
The Fayette County Sheriff's Office Sheriff's Citizen Academy occurs at least twice a year and meets once a week for 10 weeks on Tuesday evenings from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. at the Fayette County Sheriff's Office.
The Sheriff's Citizen Academy is an important component of the Fayette County Sheriff's Office community oriented philosophy. It's purpose is to provide a forum whereby you can develop a basic understanding of how the Sheriff's Office is continually striving to better our county.
During the ten weeks of the Sheriff's Citizen Academy, various personnel will cover a variety of law enforcement subjects. Through this experience, you will gain valuable knowledge of how the Sheriff's Office operate within your community.
Each Sheriff's Citizen Academy session covers a variety of subjects ranging from basic operations and each Divisions role within the Sheriff's Office to discussions and demonstrations. Weekly schedule subject to change. The curriculum as follows:
- Week 1 - Welcome Night with Sheriff Barry H. Babb and Command Staff
- Week 2 - Introduction to Field Operations Division and Traffic Enforcement Presentations
- Week 3 - Courthouse tour and Jail tour with simulated cell search demonstration
- Week 4 - K9 presentation and demonstration
- Week 5 - Introduction to Criminal Investigations/Special Operations
- Week 6 - Project Lifesaver demonstration and Crime Scene investigations
- Week 7 -SWAT Presentation and Demonstration
- Week 8 - Use of Force and TASER demonstration
- Week 9 - Firearm Safety Presentation and Live fire at the Fayette County Sheriff's Office Range
- Week 10 - Graduation
Upon successfully completion of the Sheriff's Citizen Academy each participant and their families and friends are invited to attend the Sheriff's Citizen Academy graduation ceremony which will be announced during the Academy Session.
Applications must be delivered in person to Lieutenant Terry Black. If you have any questions concerning the application, please contact Lieutenant Black at 770-716-4802.
If you have any questions concerning the Sheriff's Citizen Academy, please contact Class Coordinator Sergeant Robert Kersey at 770-716-4788.